Thursday, March 28, 2024
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: ECHOLINK COMMUNICATION- ( AP2ZAF) FAISALABAD

Re:ECHOLINK COMMUNICATION 14 years 7 months ago #112

Dear Asad Bhai
Hope you will be fine there.I read your article about Echolink.I fully agree with you that learning new technologies is the spirit of a ham.Many of us are mere operators and some of us never warmed up their soldering iron ever while others have done a lot of experiments.I segregate the hobby in two aspects

1 : Home brewing and learning practical electronics
2 : Operating and earning awards and diplomas

Both the aspects are important but the 2nd one is being adopted by the majority.So we can’t say no to any aspect.

I would like to comment on echolink with some practical example.My working qth is around 86 km away from my home.I made an echolink setup on experimental basis few months ago and used it successfully to connect it to murree repeater from my working qth which is almost 400 km away from murree,while connecting to the hams at my native city too.

Practically speaking Islamabad is 389 km away from Faisalabad and around 1300 km away from Karachi .The main repeater in AP-land is at Murree.VHF is not a possible way of connecting Karachi to Islamabad.Only cheap solution is echolink.While almost all hams in AP-land use dsl 500kb or 1mb internet connection.I have test echolink on 128 kb ,it works fine .so if there is a ham in Karachi and Faisalabad they can connect whole Karachi and faisalabad via echolink.Similarly if there is a ham in Islamabad or in the area from where the Murree repeater is accessible he can put echolink in place there and all the hams are connected.

Other example is Quetta where our ham can never access VHF in cheaper way like echolink.I am not negating the importance of the radio (HF or VHF), it is matter of wisdom that doing a thing in a cheaper way is good idea .We would need almost 13 repeaters to go from Islamabad to Karachi.So again Echolink is the best way of accessing where you can’t reach easily.

I think we should accept change with broad mind and be clear that echolink can never replace radio but it is an easy way to get connected with others via radio.

Because denial of truth is ignorance and a sign of retrogression.It is the spirit of a ham that he is seeing all the time ahead.

Allah Hafiz

Ismail / ap2miz
Muhammad Ismail Zahid
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
0333-6589554
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:ECHOLINK COMMUNICATION 14 years 7 months ago #113

• ap2aum
interesting debate on Echo Link.:) i would tend to agree with Asad on it. We should accept the change and utilise it in a positive way. Personally i dont see any harm in using echo link. i remember AP2DKH hooking up his seup with echolink and then we had hams from Muscat and UAE Qso'ing from their 4wheelers with us on our repeater, wherein i was also in a 4wheeler. Honestly i enjoyed every bit of it.

I would take it in a sense that in absence of good propagation on HF this could be a possible alternative.

I would also agree with AP2RF that when all else fails....... however when our primary setup i.e. vhf/uhf and repeaters are going great and at times are resting and doing nothing, i dont see any harm in hooking up echolink.

73s
ap2aum

if someone in islamabad can help me in hooking up my setup to echo link i would love to route it through our experimental cross band repeater at Changla.
Last Edit: 14 years 7 months ago by ap2aum.

Re:ECHOLINK COMMUNICATION 14 years 7 months ago #115

Dear Asad Bhai
Assalm-o-alaikum.long time no see.Yes that was my post on the subject .If you are willing then I can make a setup at faisalabad and you have to make at peshawer then we will hook togather and I will invite hams from karachi and quetta and they will be able to talk to you via echolink.which I think is not possible using vhf directly.

Hope you find it interesting and useful.I will be waiting for an early reply from you.

Allah hafiz

Muhammad Ismail Zahid / ap2miz
Muhammad Ismail Zahid
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
0333-6589554

Re:ECHOLINK COMMUNICATION 14 years 7 months ago #118

• ap2aum
Hello MIZ,

that would be great. i can spare a kenwood handy TH 28 for this experiment and i also have a WIMAX connection at home which is otherwise running 24 hrs.
i must tell you that i am terrible in electronics and circuitry. :) so would request you to help me out in this. i think it would be great and we can also rope in other stations too. this repeater is lying dormant for quiet sometime now so lets bring it back to life.

regards
ap2aum

Re:ECHOLINK COMMUNICATION 14 years 7 months ago #124

AOA ASAD BHAI
thanks for your interest in echolink.I have downloaded the manual for th-28 and will make an interface and send it to you and the rest will be done online.all the adjustments regarding echolink will be done after you hook up the rig with net.

I am in touch with all the hams at karachi , okara , quetta and faisalabad.they are all anxious to come on the repeater and myself I will also be in qso with you daily insha allah from my working qth.

see you soon on the echolink.
allah hafiz

ap2miz / ismail
Muhammad Ismail Zahid
0333-6589554

Re:ECHOLINK COMMUNICATION- ( AP2ZAF) FAISALABAD 14 years 7 months ago #126

• Asad Khan AP2ASD
  • Senior Boarder
  • This is my picture from 1982/83.
Hey Guys,

We can setup a superb Echolink system but don't forget that we will be Internet dependent. No Internet means no Echolink. That fails when all else fails.

Imagine having a 10 meters repeater on a mountain top! That should cover most of the nation, at least during daytime hours. Due the sunny and hot weather, propagation must be at its best in Pakistan. Does anyone agree with my 10 m rpt idea?

Asad
KC2VOB
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds